Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sleep Running

I'm slightly concerned that I'm becoming obsessed with running. Let's look at the evidence: I talk about running to the point of nausea (for my friends at least); I have several "running friends" (ala The Inbetweeners); I'm joining a club (I'll let ye know how that goes); I try to get 5 runs in a week (so that I don't get annoyed); and I do get annoyed with elements of my life that may be adversely affecting my running. Oh, and I'm slowly building up a library of running books. Hell, I scour the Internet looking for running articles, and I follow several running blogs (they really are a portal into the very essence of the sport). My girlfriend has rightly pointed out that I go through phases that require me to become obsessed. Most people - when they decide to take up running - go out and run, I have to research the topic, buy books, watch DVD's, attend clinics, and experiment with barefoot shoes that may make my gait more efficient and my body less prone to injury! I couldn't just go out for a few miles in asics like normal people.

Speaking of injury, I'm dealing reasonably well with my slight ankle sprain. I called into Sinéad (my physio) on Friday for a 30 minute torture session on my sprain. During this half hour misery session awash with excruciating agony and piercing aches, she revealed she used to run barefoot during her early years and never suffered any adverse affects. This is good news for my little experiment. With that, I drove down to Mahon this morning with a very hungover Garry, and we went for a very tentative 5 mile loop - I nursed my foot while he nursed his throbbing brain. My ankle felt ok, the sprain is definitely better, but I am worried about the bruising under my foot from hitting that stone. That still aches - I suppose time will tell.

I am probably more concerned, worried even, about being off the road for any sustained period again in the future. This rising apprehension has to do with my state of mind. Last week, I actually went sleep running! I kid you not: in the bed, tucked up, under the sheets... my legs were going ninety! How do we know this for sure, my ever suffering girlfriend was kicked by a torrent of heels at around 3:15am. When she managed to turn me the other way, she got a fist full of scrawling toes at around 3:17am

Bec: "Elmer, what's wrong with you?"
Elmer (sleepily): "ammmm, I think I was running"
Bec: "Of course you were... lie on your back please"



Are these the actions of a man who would deal well with being off the road for an extensive period. Absolutely not, and that is why this runner is obsessed with avoiding injury.. .if only for the preservation of my mind, and Bec's lower limbs.

1 comment: