Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Choo choo

Today’s a big day – I’m hoping to get back on the horse. Over the last few weeks, I’ve been chugging down arnica tables every two hours with mechanical precision, plastering my ankle and arch with generous heaps of ibuprofen gel, resorting to endless laps in the deep end of a local pool while aqua jogging, and just for good measure, several hours of being screamed at to spin harder in satanic spinning classes. I’m exaggerating slightly (about the satanic bit), but I have been trying my best to stay fit and nurse my way back to the roads.

It hasn’t been entirely dull; I was helping out with minding Rebecca’s Mum’s golden retriever for a few days (Leo). This entailed several extended walks during the exceedingly early hours for my four pawed friend. Although I wasn’t technically meant to be out walking this early in my rehabilitation, I enjoyed it, especially when the sun came up. The down side was embarking into the pitch black and wandering down an old railway line that is enclosed on all sides by eerily still trees and solemn looking stone bridges. My protection for these walks was a pooch that has all the ferocity of a… well.. tongue hanging, slobber soaked, tail wagging golden retriever! The only time he perked up for a ‘kill’ was when a mouse scampered out in front of us… that’s how intimidating Leo is, a mouse fancied his chances. At all other times, he busied himself sniffing and peeing. Thankfully, the robbers, thieves, pimps, drug pushers, murders, and aliens I anticipated under each bridge and behind most shrubberies didn’t materialise – Leo’s somewhat suspect protective instincts remain unchallenged. As for my rehabilitation, although my ankle and arch tightened during these walks, it felt OK. Several days on, I’m only vaguely aware of any trouble.

In the absence of actual running, I did the next best thing – I read about other people doing it. The good news: a raft of various running novels, runner’s world magazines, and Internet ramblings has continued to wet my appetite. Although the magnitude of the task is beginning to dawn on me, I still feel good about it. Now – hopefully – with all the rehabilitation at an end, I’m ready to start ratcheting up my body for training (which should kick off in December). Today, I’m starting off with an easily paced 20 minute jog on the grass with Garry after work. I’ll take stock afterwards and take it from there.
                           
Baby steps.
180 days to go

2 comments:

  1. Think ive already written my comment..it was You Go Boy..you go..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff Elmer, best of luck!
    I've done a sub 4 hour marathon which was tough enough!
    So why are you torturing yourself? :)

    ReplyDelete