Saturday, October 30, 2010

Full Stop


An aim of mine when I decided to kick off this blog was to – at the very least – update with weekly anecdotes. I felt this would paint the trusted representation of the journey. I’ve never been one for keeping diaries (too lazy and easily distracted); maintaining a blog would be the kick in the arse needed for consistent input. In years to come, I wanted to accurately recall the journey, rather than blatantly revise it with epic fibs and untruthful revisionisms, regardless of the outcome. 

I had this notion that the journey would be rough in places, especially around the 2nd month (circa Jan ‘11). The sadistic side of me relished the thought of visiting some dark physical and mental places during long lonely trails; my aim was to scribe my recollections of these miles with positive insights and fun recollections. Sadly, I didn’t anticipate that I’d have such a downer this earlier in the whole process – I’ve struggled with the motivation to write this update. But, it may be therapeutic, and I’ll keep it short. 

I had started out several days ago so hopeful – I was convinced I had left the foot heal long enough. Regular ice and strength work were now normal activities in my daily routine as I laid the groundwork for a full recovery. Sadly, a casual ‘test’ 5 mile run last Sunday went fairly badly, my foot ached towards the end and things didn’t improve the next day.
Leaving it another day, I got in touch with my physio on Tuesday… her concerns mirrored my own – it was unlikely that we were still dealing with a normal strain. She’s fearful that the stone I hit may have chipped some bone which triggered various ancillary issues and protracted healing. At this point, an MRI is my only option so that we can develop a plan of action. This necessitated a visit to the doctor on Thursday for his referral letter - €50 for a 2 minute Q&A and a rubber stamp. Why is it that I need a doctor’s referral for an MRI when he knows significantly less about the whole experience, asks several pointless questions, and subsequently voices a recommendation for an MRI based on nothing more than a clumsy unskilled prod of my foot. Galling. 

I’m in bad humour about this anyway, so being ripped off by an aged clown doesn’t help. 

I await the MRI which takes place next Thursday, and I guess I’ll take it from there. Damn.

In unrelated news, my Wii avatar’s career (on Tiger Woods Golf 10) is progressing nicely after a slow and somewhat faltering start. Although he has failed to make the cut in any tournaments yet, he has bucket loads of potential. We're going to work on that potential this Saturday.

162 days to Paris.

5 comments:

  1. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkk

    ReplyDelete
  2. deary dear.
    I'm Reeeaaallllly going to miss the NHS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya about the referral fee, daylight robbery. Esp when an 'exam' constitutes a few pokes - "Does that hurt? How bout now? And now?" Then they give you that withering look that says: ya, i'm still none the wiser. And then they suggest, lets refer it to an MRI.
    Oh yes, LETS!! Great idea..... if only i'd thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep the head up Elmer - this part until you're healed and running again is the frustrating, tough part. Do everything you can to get fixed and when you're out running those long lonely trails think back to this time and you'll be able to keep going. If you're not right in time for Paris there'll be other marathons next year don't rush it anyway! Good luck next Thursday anyway and let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, like many 'services' in this country it's a racket, justified by spurious reasoning from 'professional bodies'. Good luck with the recovery.

    ReplyDelete